Torsten Hämmerle <torsten.haemme...@web.de> writes:

> As to the "official" order of accidentals, Elaine Gould writes: "The order
> of accidentals follows the 'cycle of fifths'."

I think that's pretty unambiguous.

> This, unfortunately, is not very clear for the "theoretical keys" containing
> double flats or double sharps.
>
> *1st interpretation* (LilyPond's behaviour)
> As the F## in G# major is the last accidental in the circle of fifths, so
> it's printed last.
>
> *2nd interpretation*
> While the F## may be the last accidental, it's nevertheless replacing the F#
> (the first sharp) and therefore should be printed first.

I find the 2nd interpretation untenable given her words.  F𝄪 follows B♯
in the circle of fifths.  The only possible interpretation is that F♯ is
also present, but I think she would have mentioned an overriden
accidental.  It's similar to changing from F♮ to F𝄪 in a score: you
don't indicate an intermediate step.

--
David Kastrup