Hi Torsten,

Thanks so much for this supremely clear explanation.

It's quite subtle really, isn't it? A big help. Probably this context does
not come up often for people - my piano scores flutter between, one, two,
three, and four staves in a quite complex manner. Scriabin too, but he does
not go down to one staff much, if at all, as I recall. So a kind of rare
corner case arises in my work - but lilypond as usual triumphs!

Andrew