On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 6:46 PM, Kieren MacMillan
<kieren_macmil...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Why not use different Lyrics contexts, and just omit the grobs until you need
> to see them?

Okay, time for me to betray my ignorance. I've looked at Notation
Reference 2.1.2 Techniques Specific to Lyrics, and it's helpful. But I
don't find advice on how to best handle it when multiple stanzas of
shared lyrics diverge into a chorus of many separate ones at a point
dozens of bars into the song. Here is a fairly minimal example of what
I usually do:

% BEGIN LILYPOND CODE
\version "2.19.80"
SopranoMusic = { e'4 f' g' a' | c''1 }
AltoMusic = { c'4 d' e' f' | g'2 g' }
TenorMusic = { a4 b c' d' | e'4 e' e' e' }
BassMusic = { c4 c c c | c8 c c c c c c c }

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff = "women" {
      <<
        \new Voice = "soprano" { \voiceOne \SopranoMusic }
        \new Voice = "alto" { \voiceTwo \AltoMusic }
        \new NullVoice = "tenorwords" { \TenorMusic }
        \new NullVoice = "basswords" { \BassMusic }
        \new Lyrics \lyricsto "soprano" {
          All to -- geth -- er now
        }
        \new Lyrics \lyricsto "alto" {
          _ _ _ _ now now
        }
        \new Lyrics \lyricsto "tenorwords" {
          _ _ _ _ now now now now
        }
        \new Lyrics \lyricsto "basswords" {
          _ _ _ _ now now now now now now now now
        }

    }
    \new Staff = "men" {
      \clef bass
      <<
        \new Voice = "tenor" { \voiceOne \TenorMusic }
        \new Voice = "bass" { \voiceTwo \BassMusic }

    }

}
% END LILYPOND CODE

And a real-world example is attached. In that one, I'm using \repeat
unfold 30 { \skip 4 } to get the extra lyrics contexts advanced to
their starting points. And, it's not really a problem; I can live with
this. I just wonder:

1. Is there a better way to do this?
2. Is there a function that can count syllables just like the... the
lyric engraver, is it? I would give it some music, and it would say
how many lyric syllables I have, accounting for slurs and such.

Now, omitting the grobs - I'm thinking that means "make things
disappear." The notes? The lyrics? Some other graphic object?
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

#(set-default-paper-size "letter")

aikenHeadsThin = \set shapeNoteStyles = ##(doThin reThin miThin faThin sol
laThin tiThin)

\header {
  title = "Joy To The World"
  composer = "Jacob Henry Hall (1855-1941)"
  poet = "Isaac Watts (1674-1748)"
  copyright = "Public Domain © 1895 by J. H. Hall"
  tagline = "https://hymnary.org/tune/joy_to_the_world_the_lord_is_come_hall";
}

TimeKey = {
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4
  \numericTimeSignature
}

SopranoMusic = \fixed c' {
  g4 e8. f16 g4. g8 |
  a4 b4 c'4. g8 |
  a4. g8 f4 a8[ c'] |
  b2. \bar "." \break b4 |
  c'4. b8 c'4 g |
  a8[ c'] b[ a] g4. g8 |
  a8^( b c') d' c'4 b |
  c'2. r4 \bar "." |
  g8^"Chorus" r g r g4 r8. g16 |
  f4 f f r |
  f8 r f r f4 r8. g16 |
  e4 f e r |
  g8 r g r g4 r8. c'16 |
  a4 a a a |
  g4 g b b |
  c'2. r4
  \bar "|."
}

AltoMusic = \fixed c' {
  e4 c8. d16 e4. e8 |
  f4 d8[ f] e4. e8 |
  c4. c8 b,8[ e] d4 |
  d2. d4 |
  c4. d8 e4 e |
  f8[ a] g[ f] e4. e8 |
  f8_( g4) f8 e4 d8[ f] |
  e2. r4 |
  c8 r c r c4 r8. c16 |
  d4 d d r |
  d8 r d r d4 r8. b,16 |
  c4 c c r |
  e8 r e r e4 r8. g16 |
  e4 e e d8.[ f16] |
  e4 e b f |
  e8. a16 g8. f16 e4 r
  \bar "|."
}

TenorMusic = \fixed c {
  c'4 g8. g16 c'4. c'8 |
  c'4 g g4. c'8 |
  c'4. g8 g4 fs4 |
  g2. g4 |
  g4. g8 g4 c' |
  c'4 c' c'4. c'8 |
  c'8 d' c' a g4 g |
  g2. r4 |
  r4 c'8. c'16 c'8 c' \once \partcombineApart r8. c'16 |
  b4 b b r4 |
  r4 g8. g16 g4 \once \partcombineApart r8. g16 |
  g4 a g r |
  r4 c'8. c'16 c'8 c' \once \partcombineApart r8. c'16 |
  c'4 c' c' c' |
  c'4 c' g g |
  g8. c'16 b8. a16 g4 r
  \bar "|."
}

BassMusic = \fixed c {
  c4 c8. c16 c4. c8 |
  f4 g c4. c8 |
  f4. e8 d4 d |
  g2. f4 |
  e4. d8 c4 c |
  f4 f c4. c8 |
  f8 d e f g4 g,4 |
  c2. r4 |
  e2_( e8.)[ d16] c8. e16 |
  g2. r4 |
  g,2_( g,8.) f16 e8. d16 |
  c2. r4 |
  e2_( e8.)[ b,16] c8. e16 |
  a2. f8.[ d16] |
  g2_( g8.) g,16 e8. d16 |
  c2. r4
  \bar "|."
}

VerseOne = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "1."
  Joy to the world! the Lord is come;
  Let earth re -- ceive her _ King!
  Let ev -- ’ry heart pre -- pare _ Him _ room,
  and heaven and na -- ture sing.
  Joy, joy, joy, the Lord is come,
  Peace on earth, good will to men,
  Joy, joy, joy, the Lord is come,
  Let earth re -- ceive her King.
}

VerseTwo = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "2."
  Joy to the earth, the Sav -- ior reigns!
  Let men their songs em -- _ ploy,
  while fields and floods, rocks, hills, _ and _ plains
  re -- peat the sound -- ing joy.
}

VerseThree = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "3."
  He rules the world with truth and grace,
  and makes the na -- tions _ prove
  the glo -- ries of His right -- _ eous -- _ ness
  and won -- ders of His love.
}

TenorChorus = \lyricmode {
  \repeat unfold 30 { \skip 4 }
  Hal -- le -- lu -- jah,
  _ _ _ _
  Peace on earth,
  _ _ _ _
  Hal -- le -- lu -- jah,
  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
  re -- ceive her King.
}

BassChorus = \lyricmode {
  \repeat unfold 30 { \skip 4 }
  Joy __ _  to the world,
  Joy __ the Lord is come,
  Joy __ _ to the world,
  Let _ earth __ re -- ceive her King.
}

\score {
  \transpose c d {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff = "SopranoAlto" \with { midiInstrument = "choir aahs" }
    <<
      \new Voice = "soprano" {
        \voiceOne
        \TimeKey
         { \partcombine #'(2 . 9) \SopranoMusic \AltoMusic }
      }

      \new NullVoice = "sopranowords" \SopranoMusic
      \new NullVoice = "tenorwords" \TenorMusic
      \new NullVoice = "basswords" \BassMusic

    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "sopranowords" \VerseOne
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "sopranowords" \VerseTwo
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "sopranowords" \VerseThree
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "tenorwords" \TenorChorus

    \new Staff \with {
      midiInstrument = "choir aahs"
    } <<
      \new Voice = "bass" {
        \clef bass
        \TimeKey
         { \partcombine #'(2 . 9) \TenorMusic \BassMusic }
      }

    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "basswords" \BassChorus

  }

  \layout {
    indent = 0.0

    \context {
      \Voice
      \aikenHeadsThin
      \autoBeamOff
      \consists "Melody_engraver"
    }

    \context {
      \Staff
      \override StaffSymbol.ledger-line-thickness = #'(1.0 . 0.0)
      \override NoteHead.font-size = #0.9
    }

    \context {
      \Score
      \remove Bar_number_engraver
    }
  }

}

% Separate score for MIDI editors. Makes 4 uncombined tracks.
\score {
  \transpose c' d {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
  \new Staff = "Soprano" \with { midiInstrument = "choir aahs" }
  {
    \new Voice = "soprano" { \clef treble \TimeKey \voiceOne \transpose c a
\SopranoMusic }
  }

  \new Staff = "Alto" \with { midiInstrument = "choir aahs" }
  {
    \new Voice = "alto" { \clef treble \TimeKey \voiceOne \transpose c a
\AltoMusic }
  }

  \new Staff = "Tenor" \with { midiInstrument = "choir aahs" }
  {
    \new Voice = "tenor" { \clef bass \TimeKey \voiceOne \transpose c a
\TenorMusic }
  }

  \new Staff = "Bass" \with { midiInstrument = "choir aahs" }
  {
    \new Voice = "bass" { \clef bass \TimeKey \voiceOne \transpose c a
\BassMusic }
  }

  }

  \midi { \tempo 4 = 100 }