On 13 April 2018 at 09:47, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:

> Gianmaria Lari <gianmarial...@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Because {a8 8} and {a8} are different?  Spaces are not a relevant part
> >> of input.  You'd have to write { a8 8 } if they were, wouldn't you?
> >>

> > I thought duration, fingering etc. had not to be space separated from the
> > note!
>
> Just a convention for readability.  It would make programming awkward if
> spaces were relevant: how'd you write #{ #pitch 8 #} then?

Yes sure, it's clear and now it makes sense.
Thank you.

P.S. It's not long time I'm using the shortcut that avoid to specify a
pitch when it is the same as the previous pitch (i.e. writing a4 4 4 4 to
say a4 a4 a4 a4). At beginning I avoided it because I regard with suspicion
shortcuts.....
But after some time I started to use this shortcut. The reasons are that
when you have a pitch repeated consecutively this writing convention
- less possible mistakes: it is more easy to write {a8 8 4 8 4} than   {a8
a8 a4 a8 a4}
- reading is easier: compare {a8 8 4 8 4} with {a8 a8 a4 a8 a4}
- finally, if you, like me, use absolute (instead of relative) and you have
a note with more than one "," or "'" it is appreciable writing {a'''8 8 4 8
4} instead of  {a'''8 a'''8 a'''4 a'''8 a'''4}