The music is forced to have one sharp or it will be unreadable to musicians.

I would say suppress the key name.  Musicians know what key it is in already.

Al.

-------- Original message --------
From: Peter Crighton <petecrigh...@gmail.com>
Date: 4/16/18 2:36 PM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: Key signatures in modes other than Ionian & Aeolian

Hello all,

my question is not exclusive to LilyPond, but I hope you can enlighten me
anyway.

I am transcribing a song in D Mixolydian and am wondering which key signature
to notate it in – d \mixolydian (because that is the mode it is in) or d \major
(because a D major chord clearly is the tonic of the song). I’d rather notate
it in d \mixolydian, which seems correct to me, but might it be easier to read
(especially for non-professional musicians) in d \major just with a natural
sign before every c?
What is everyone doing in such a case? Any experiences which is easier to read?
Also, could the style of music matter? In Early Music I’d be even more inclined
to notate in d \mixolydian, but in this case it is a pop song where people
might only expect to see major or minor keys.

Curious to hear what you all think.

Thanks,
Peter

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de