On 1 May 2018 at 05:32, David Wright <da...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue 01 May 2018 at 00:15:24 (+0200), David Kastrup wrote:
> > David Wright <da...@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > > AFAICT the important exception that was introduced with naked
> > > durations was that c 4 notates a single note whereas c4 4 notates two.
> >
> > There was no "exception" introduced.  c 4 always indicated a single note
> > and c4 4 previously was invalid input.
>
> There's no guarantee that a new user, or a user who has only set eyes
> on notation like c4, will make the correct interpretation of, say,
> c 4 4 4 when they first encounter it. Without looking it up, there's
> no way of knowing whether LP would treat it as three notes or four.
>
> So if a new user thinks that a naked duration always specifies a note
> they're likely to see the first duration in c 4 4 4 as an exception.
> The ambiguity didn't arise before as there was no possibility of
> seeing such a string (without throwing an error).
>
> Of course it wouldn't look like an exception to you or anyone who's
> already familiar enough with LP syntax.

Absolutely!!!!! And the problem is not really when "you see". It's when
"you write". A learnear like me, after discovering the syntax "c4 4 4" will
use with no problem like this:

d4 c 4 4

discovering that it engraves

d4 c4 c4

But starting from the moment that you say that  pitches and durations can
be separated by a space I don't see any way to prevent this thing. But does
human would ever separate pitch from duration and write "c 4 d 4 e 8"? If
not, maybe we could output some sort of warning when the code contains
spaces between pitch and duration?

> But the OP's doubts concerned
> learners and that's why my views diverge from theirs: I would prefer
> a decision (concerning durations applying only to pitches) based on
> power users rather than learners.

Yes, I found this a perfectly reasonable choice! But I have no idea if it
is correct :)

g.