Hi Mason,

I use \shapeII extensively.

I think the point about engraving is that while rules based, it is an art,
and the result depends on the skill and good taste of the user. There is no
definitive 'good slur'. The function therefore has two uses, one to fix
lilypond slurs that are not entirely felicitous, and the other to shape to
your taste.

As for predicting the result, you get to know when you use it as much as I
do - just experience. I myself always use polar coordinates as to my mind
the angle indicates the trajectory clearly. But the function is very
flexible.

Just my two bits worth.

Andrew