Bernhard Kleine wrote
> I remember vaguely that one can have a "staff" for the dynamics in an
> score, but I can not find it in the documentation of 2.19.82. Can you
> please point me to that.

Hi Bernhard,

I guess it's the Dynamics context you're having in mind. And, yes, it's hard
to find in the documentation.

A feeble hint is hidden in  1.3.1. Expressive marks attached to notes
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-attached-to-notes.html>

(scroll about half-way down) where it says "The Dynamics context is
available to engrave dynamics on their own horizontal line"...

In  4.4.1 Flexible vertical spacing within systems
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems.html>

, the Dynamics context is mentioned, too.

References for keyboards
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-keyboards.html#references-for-keyboards>

states "Dynamics may be placed in a Dynamics context, between the two Staff
contexts to align the dynamic marks on a horizontal line centered between
the staves; see Dynamics."

HTH,
Torsten