Here is my MWE. It seems rather naive, and I feel there must be more
intelligent ways to do this. Here's a basis for help to start with,
hopefully making clearer what I want.

The disadvantage here of course is that the heavier barlines have to be
manually inserted. Not a large effort, but just does not seem smooth.

%====

\version "2.19.82"

music = {
  \time 5/4