I saw you got lots of answers that approached this from a space tweaking
perspective.

I wanted to offer another approach, which is to insert a spacer rest before
your final chord and then scale the chord as appropriate. You can pick the
duration of rest that suits your taste.

This has the slight benefit, as compared to tweaking specific horizontal
values, that it will scale if you change page layouts, when the measure
takes up different amounts of space.

It has the downside that, if you are also doing midi output, you would need
to use tags to differentiate content for layout and midi blocks.

\layout {
  line-width = 5\in
  ragged-right = ##f
}

{
  c''4 4 4 4 | s32 c''1*31/32 \bar "|."
}

{
  c''4 4 4 4 | s16 c''1*15/16 \bar "|."
}

{
  c''4 4 4 4 | s8 c''1*7/8 \bar "|."
}

{
  c''4 4 4 4 | s4 c''1*3/4 \bar "|."
}

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
highly underrated*"
ela...@flaminghakama.com
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator