Is there a way to turn off bar checks? Or to write a music function that
strips out bar checks?

Or does anyone have suggestions on where to start looking for such things?

Here's the situation. Most of what I write (largely Sacred Harp fuguing
tunes) triggers a known limitation around bar checks. Most pieces in this
style include repeats with alternative endings. Because of partial
measures, the alternative endings include changes to the bar length. And I
generate MIDI output using a second score with \unfoldRepeats. This
combination triggers spurious bar check failures for the second score. (The
limitation is described at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/long-repeats#normal-repeats;
scroll down to "Known issues and warnings.")

I'd like to find a way prevent bar checks on the score that includes
\unfoldRepeats, but perform them as normal on the score where repeats are
not unfolded. And since this is a situation that comes up very often for
me, it's worth my while to spend some time on making this work.

Any thoughts on where I might start?

Thanks,
LV