Dear Aaron, you wrote:

 [....]

> \pushToTag and \appendToTag only work on things that have an elements
> property.  So that means this expression is valid but useless:
>
>      \pushToTag #'here c' \tag #'here g'

I tried to search "Element property" and I found this:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/extending/internal-music-representation

[...]
A compound music expression is a music object that contains other music
objects in its properties. A list of objects can be stored in the elements
property of a music object, or a single ‘child’ music object in the element
property. For example, SequentialMusic has its children in elements, and
GraceMusic has its single argument in element. The body of a repeat is
stored in the element property of RepeatedMusic, and the alternatives in
elements.

So if I understand correctly, the code:

  \pushToTag #'here c' \tag #'here g'

doesn't work because g', that is a single note and not a compound music
expression does not have an element property. That's the reason why this
instead works:

\pushToTag #'here c' \tag #'here {g'}

Because {g'} is a compound music expression and it has an element property.
Could you please confirm?

Thank you, g.