Thank you!

Yes. This works perfectly!

With deep appreciation,

David

From: "Remy CLAVERIE" <remy.clave...@orange.fr>
To: "dadadharma @dslextreme.com" <dadadha...@dslextreme.com>, "lilypond-user"
<lilypond-user@gnu.org>
Sent: Monday, December 9, 2019 12:50:16 AM
Subject: re: alignAboveContext for alto

David,

If I correctly understand your problem, you need to have the Lyrics of the alto
voice above the Staff after the eight bar.

I think the best solution is to use the 'alignAbovecontext' which sould be
applied to a 'Staff' context. You will find a proposal attached to this email.

If you would like a more appropriate solution, tell me know.

Have a nice day,

Rémy

> Message du 08/12/19 20:42
> De : "David Olson" <dadadha...@dslextreme.com>
> A : "lilypond-user" <lilypond-user@gnu.org>
> Copie à :
> Objet : alignAboveContext for alto

Dear Lilyponders,
Suppose I have a ChoirStaff with four voices,
and stanzas are sung by everybody, but distributed between the voices (less
cluttered).
<<
> \new Voice = "one" { \sopranoMusic }
> \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" \stanzaOne
> \new Voice = "two" { \altoMusic }
> \new Lyrics \lyricsto "two" \stanzaTwo
> <<
> >>
> \new Voice = "three" { \tenorMusic }
> \new Lyrics \lyricsto "two" \stanzaThree
> \new Voice = "four" { \bassMusic }

However, soprano & tenor have 8 measures rest; ideally those lyrics (14
syllables) can be set with reference to the alto voice.
When compiling, the order matters:
"two" (alto) has been read when "three" (tenor) is compiled, so stanza three
lyrics appear below tenor rests.
But "one" cannot reference "two", so no lyrics will appear if
> \new Voice = "one" { \sopranoMusic }
> \new Lyrics \lyricsto "two" \stanzaOne
Warning: cannot find Voice `two'

Alternatively: alignAboveContext
(what is the "context"?)

{ alignAboveContext = "two" }
{ alignAboveContext = "Voice" }
{ alignAboveContext = "altoMusic" }
\new Voice = "two" { \altoMusic }
> \new Lyrics
> \with { alignAboveContext = "two" } {\lyricsto "two" \stanzaFirst }
> \new Lyrics \lyricsto "two" \stanzaTwo

This just prints the "stanzaFirst" section below alto.
Assistance will be greatly appreciated,
David Olson
Los Angeles, California