On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 8:23 AM Dario Marrini <dario.marr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi musicians,
> i wrote some training exercises for the piano; I have a .ly file for each
> one; because these exercises share the same structure (a musical pattern
> that is translated to other keys) I put the music content (notes) on a
> separated .ly file; I read the documentation but I don't understand how to
> do to collect all the exercises in a single book, with text parts between
> them.
> I would avoid copyng and paste the music content on the final "book" .ly
> file, indeed using single exercises files as reference , but I don't know
> if I can or not. Any help is appreciated
>
> dario

Hi, Dario -

Please take a look at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/multiple-scores-in-a-book
in the Notation Reference. There, you can see how \bookpart can be used to
include the individual exercises, with text (using \markup, and represented
by the ellipsis (the ... ) on the line after the score.

I haven't ever put long text entries between \score s, but here's the
structure I've used successfully with fiddle tunes:

%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.81"
\language "english"

\include "*GlobalSettings*.ily"       % my file with global \paper,
\layout, and font size settings

\include "*tune1*".ly
\include "*tune2*".ly
\include "*tune3*".ly

%%%%% I don't know why I put this \paper here, rather than in \
*GlobalSettings*.ly. I think there was a reason, but I can't remember it
%%%%%%
\paper {
  scoreTitleMarkup = \markup {
    \fill-line {
      { \column {
        \fromproperty #'header:title
        %\fromproperty #'header:poet
        }
        { \fromproperty #'header:composer

\book {
  % Title of set.
  \header {
    subtitle = \markup { \fontsize #4 "*Title of Collection*"}
  }

  % Tune 1         % This first tune has melody and harmony.
  \score {
    \new GrandStaff
    <<
      \new Staff
      \relative c' {
        \clef alto
        \*tuneOne*
      }
      \relative c' {
        \clef alto
        \new Staff
        \*tuneOneHarmony*
      }

    \layout {
      indent = #0
      \context {
        %prevent tunes from printing on two pages
        \override NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f

    % Title and meter of this tune.
    \header {
      title = \markup \large \bold "*Tune 1*"
      composer = \markup \bold "*Composer 1*"
  \noPageBreak
  \markup \fill-line { " " }      % I used this for source and copyright
information.

%%%% additional \markup can go here

   % Tune 2
  \score {
    \relative c' {
      \clef alto
      { \*tuneTwo* }
    }
    \layout {
      indent = #0
      \context {
        %prevent tunes from printing on two pages
        \override NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f

    % Title and meter of this tune.
    \header {
      title = \markup \large \bold "*Tune 2*"
      composer = \markup \bold "*Composer 2*"
  \noPageBreak
  \markup \fill-line { " " }     % I used this for source and copyright
information.

%%%% additional \markup can go here

  % Tune 3
  \score {
    \relative c' {
      \clef alto
      { \*tuneThree* }
    }
    \layout {
      indent = #0
      \context {
        %prevent tunes from printing on two pages
        \override NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f

    % Title and meter of this tune.
    \header {
      title = \markup \large \bold "*Tune 3*"
      composer = \markup \bold "*Composer 3*"
  \noPageBreak
  \markup \fill-line { " " }     % I used this for source and copyright
information.

%%%% additional \markup can go here

}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I'm pretty sure I've closed all the {}s, and not put in any extra }s, but
I'm not positive. Let me know if you have any other questions. I have the
\layout {...} entry in both the *GlobalSettings*.ily and in the individual
files; I'm not sure that's necessary, but I seem to recall having a problem
when I omitted that entry from the individual files.

Regarding text between the tunes, or exercises in your case, I have minimal
experience, and someone else might be able to give you better advice.

HTH,

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer