Hi Mats

From: "Mats Bengtsson" <mats.bengts...@ee.kth.se>

What was the rationale to recommend (and only mention) \compressMMRests instead
of \compressEmptyMeasures in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/notation/writing-rests#full-measure-rests?
 In my opinion, it's a bit more cumbersome to use the music function syntax
than the macro \compressEmptyMeasures, especially for unexperienced LilyPond
users. The situation with multi-measure note durations, described in your new
subsection, should be extremely rare in practice (perhaps except in cases where
the user made a typo in the input). During all my years of lilypond use, I've
never suffered from the problem and I've used the predecessor of
\compressEmptyMeasures quite a lot.
The issue which eventually led to this change was originally reported here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-03/msg00212.html

so it did apparently affect some users adversely.

Trevor