From: lilypond-user [mailto:lilypond-user-bounces+carsonmark=ca.rr....@gnu.org]
On Behalf Of R.H.
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2020 10:04 AM
To: lilypond-user <lilypond-user@gnu.org>
Subject: Notation: Piano: How best to indicate left hand or right hand
fingering in polyphonic works?

Hello to all

Since some days I got immersed into Lilypond learning and the addtional usage
of Frescobaldi then was a game changer. I see the dedication to quality in both
products.

For my own piano practice, I am working on the Fugue IX from the Well-Tempered
Clavier Book 1 from S.B. Bach. The work has three voices. To differentiate the
voices I used a template for three voices and was able to come up with a decent
version. Next, I also want to add some harmonic function to also visually
better understand how the work is built (as a Fugue of course).

Now, I call these "My piano practice sheets" as they are for practice only. My
teacher asked me to practice each voice separately first and only then start
combining them.

Since here the middle or "mezzio" voice is played sometimes with the fingers of
the left and sometimes with the fingers of the right hand, I decided to
consistently indicate this fingering "up" for the left hand, and "down" for the
right and use it per note such as "a16_4" for a down fingering or "a16^1" for
an up-fingering.

I am not sure that this is the right way to do. Of course, there can be
indicators such as "r.h" and "l.h.", but there would be too many and it is
rather distracting to the eye. And it als forces me to have all fingering
either up and down, but not in inside the lines.

Currently, I color the fingingerings of the voicing line. Maybe left or right
hand could have a color.

But maybe somone has a better idea...?

Thanks to all and have a nice weekend

Roland