Hello Lilypond residents,

I would really like to be able to add footnotes to markup text applied to
rests (whole bars). I'm typesetting some Mahler and every second multi bars
rest has a long German string which I'd like to add the translation to as a
footnote (ideally with automatically incrementing footnote numbers).

So something like:

R2.*9^\markup { Fliessender, aber immer gemÃĪssigt \super 1 }\footnote
\markup "" #'(0 . 0) \markup { \tiny "1. More fluent, but always moderate" }

>From what I can see, this does not produce a footnote since a rest is not
an event-based footnote and what I need is a time-based footnote perhaps.
How would I encode that?

Thanks!