Dear Lilypond Power-users,

I have a question in the form “can lilypond do this?” And I’m desperate for
a clear answer. I know nothing about using LilyPond, but I do have some
experience with Music21. I have a very complex (but super interesting!)
notation workflow producing graphics for my PhD thesis in Music Theory at
Eastman that I would love to be able to automate as much of as possible.
I’m a Sibelius user, and I just don’t know what LilyPond is capable of, and
while I’m willing to put in the work for a solution, I’m on a deadline and
don’t have time to learn a whole new workflow only to discover that it
doesn’t work. So I'm really just looking for a "yeah, you could totally
streamline your transcription process with LilyPond" or "no, it does not
have the functionality you're looking for."

Basically, I've worked out a way to represent the sounds of words as music
using a system of notation I developed that maps vowels onto a staff and
puts little colored brackets (I call them headphones) around notes to
represent clusters of consonants. I made an enormous Illustrator doc with
rows of noteheads with every possible combination of consonant headphones
available in English (there are only about 10 categories of consonants,
represented by 6 colors and some changes in shape). The way I have been
doing transcription is initially in Sibelius, where I've made a custom
12-line staff with proportional note spacing and horizontal beaming,
exporting from Sib as an .svg to Illustrator, and then I go in and replace
every notehead by hand with the correct bracketed notehead from my big
Illustrator collection.

But the system is actually designed to be easy to work into an algorithm.
It's pretty easy to automatically produce a phonemic transcription of
lyrics (which would always have to be hand checked, but is still a lot
faster). There are only 46 phonemes in the Standard English, so from the
phonemic transcript and the rhythmic transcript, it shouldn't be that hard
to write a process for placing the note in the correct staff space and
attaching the correct headphones to it. But there's another complication,
which is the staff has a subtle graphic design as well (which I've been
doing by hand in Illustrator). The lines vary in thickness, so the thickest
lines are at the top and bottom, and the thinnest are in the middle; and
the lines follow a stepped gradient of greyscale, so the top line is the
lightest grey, and the bottom line is black. I've attached an image of the
staff with every vowel note represented. Most of them don't have
headphones, but the r-colored vowels have a light blue headphone on the
right side, indicating the /r/ sound after the vowel.

So, can LilyPond help me with any of this? Or is it too much?

Thanks so much,
Michael Blankenship