Ciao David,

[....]

> At any rate, \pushToTag's documentation states:
>
>        Sometimes you want to splice some music at a particular place in an
>     existing music expression.  You can use ‘\pushToTag’ and ‘\appendToTag’
>     for adding material at the front or end of the ‘elements’ of an
> existing
>     music construct.  Not every music construct has ‘elements’, but
>     sequential and simultaneous music are safe bets:
>
> But you are not pushing to sequential or simultaneous music but rather
> to the second a , a single note.  This needs to be a sequential music
> expression.

 Ahhhhh!!!! I made another mistake when I "distilled" the code before
posting it!!

I know very well the part of the documentation you quoted.
So this is was I wanted to write:

music = {a a \tag#'here {} a}

Is that right? Can \tag act on {} instead of {a} or <a> ?

Regarding the first part of your msg.:

How is { ~ } correct?  ~ is not standalone music.

Ok. I didn't understand that \pushToTag wanted a music expression.
Thanks,
g.