Just want to follow up on what Lukas-Fabian says here:

====

If you do in-staff polyphony via

<<

{ \upperMusic } \\ { \lowerMusic }

then the \\ makes LilyPond silently add a \voiceOne to \upperMusic and a
\voiceTwo to \lowerMusic, making sure that \upperMusic has upward stems,
articulations etc., and \lowerMusic has everything downwards.

Sometimes it is useful to switch back to "normal" one-voice layout even
in a polyphonic enivoronment; that can be done using \oneVoice.

====

When writing Temporary Polyphonic Context (TPC) in choral music with lyrics
and you need the lyrics to continue *into* the TPC (for example, at a
cadence where sopranos split to two parts and you need stems showing
different voice leading), you use this similar code, but make the voices
explicit and intentionally create a \new Voice. Then the use of \oneVoice
is necessary following the TPC, thus:

%%%%

<<

{ \VoiceOne \upperMusic }