On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 1:52 PM Eef Weenink <h.e.ween...@de-erve.nl> wrote:

> This score starts with \time 9/8, but i also should have 3/4 feeling, so
> there is written:
>
> 9/8 (3/4)  (in parenthesis).

Just curious, because I know precious little about polymetry.

Does 9/8 (3/4) mean anything different from (3 + 3 + 3)/8 ?

To my novice eye, both mean that it's 9/8 with three primary beats per
measure.  Also to my novice eye, it seems that 9/8 can/t have a 3/4
alternate time signature; perhaps a (3/4.) , but not a (3/4).

I;m not trying to be argumentative, or say that the original
composer/engraver is wrong.   I'm just interested understanding some of the
new conventions.

THanks,

Carl