Thanks, that was a wonderful discourse.

It made me wonder about the caution to not mix up the fractional
representation with the number it evaluates to.

Made me wonder, what does the value represent?

I guess it is obvious once you think about it, but it represents the number
of whole notes in the bar.

So, 4/4, 2/2, 1/1, and 8/8 all have a value of 1 and represent a whole note
in total duration.

Also makes me wonder:  do we have a word for time signatures that have
duration other than a whole note?

In this sense, evaluating the duration of non-dyadic signatures is just as
transparent as those that are not a whole note in duration.

For example, understanding the length of 3/4 is straightforward, and
evaluating the length of 6/8 and 4/6 are about the same, since you have to
reduce the fraction to 3/4 or 2/3.

However, from a philosophical perspective, I have a difficult time thinking
of the time signature itself as a fraction.  I feel like it is rather the
combination of a multiplier and a fraction.

The bottom number tells you what note gets the beat, which we represent as
fractions of a whole note, with an implied numerator of 1.  Then the top
number tells you how many beats are in the bar.

Combining a multiplier with a fraction of course yields another fraction.

But the meaning of the resulting fraction is not as obvious, or I guess is
not typically directly musically relevant.  So musically, I don't think we
tend to think of time signatures as fractions.

In fact, even the fractional part of this, which is baked into the concept
of which note type gets the beat, I would argue, is not typically
experienced as a fraction.  In fact, it seems like what time signatures are
doing is more integer-ization of a fraction:  it says that this thing that
was previously defined as a fraction, that thing should now be considered 1
unit beat.  (Ignoring compound time conventions).

So, I guess I come to the conclusion that the only reason we think of the
time signature as a fraction is because we define our note values as
fractions of a whole note.

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
highly underrated*"
ela...@flaminghakama.com
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator