Le dimanche 14 mai 2023 à 12:15 +0100, David Sumbler a écrit :
> It's a while since I used Lilypond.  I have a bit of tweaking I want to do to
> some scores, so thought I should download the latest version.  In the end, I
> decided to use v2.24.1, rather than 2.25.4,
> although I have mostly used the "unstable" versions in the past.
>
> Lilypond used to use a global install, and it was the work of a few minutes
> to download and install this on my Linux machines, including all the
> documentation too if one added the -d flag.
>
> I have managed to install Lilypond, and even the docs, a couple of times
> since it changed to a sort of flatpack design.  Each time it has taken me a
> long time to get it all working.  Today I have
> spent well over an hour messing about, and I have now managed to get lilypond
> installed and also the documentation.
>
> But convert-ly doesn't work: I get a "/home/david/lilypond/usr/bin/python3:
> not found" error.  This is probably because the convert-ly script I have in
> my ~/bin/  folder  needs amending, but I can
> see myself having to spend another hour or two trying to sort out what is
> going wrong and how to change it.
>
> What seems to be missing is a simple to find and to follow set of
> instructions on how to install Lilypond.  I was surprised to see that the
> Learning Manual now encourages users to use a package from
> their distro.  This seems to be a change of policy: previously, the website
> discouraged users from doing this, because the repositories usually have out
> of date versions.  But perhaps this is the
> path I should go down, simply to save time.
>
> Sorry, this is just a grumble about having to mess about so much to get
> Lilypond functioning.  But surely there ought to be some sort of instructions
> on the download site about how to get everything
> installed and working.

What does “install” mean to you?

This is a serious question, not hair splitting. Depending on what you actually
want to do with LilyPond, the way to “install” it can be vastly different.

If you just want to run it from the command line, then you don't need to
install it in any way, you can just run
"~/where/you/unpacked/the/archive/bin/lilypond".

If you want to use it *regularly* from the terminal, or if you want some tool
(e.g., Emacs) to find it as just "lilypond", you can just prepend the right
directory to your PATH by adding this to your
shell startup file (e.g., ~/.bashrc):

export PATH=/where/you/unpacked/the/archive/bin:$PATH

and this will make it callable as "lilypond".

If you want to use it with Frescobaldi, that's in the learning manual, but I
suppose you saw that.

For the documentation there is no real "installation" process in any case (OK,
except maybe if you want the Info documentation).

To me, the problem with “there should be a simple way to install LilyPond” is
that “install LilyPond” is not something well-defined at all. There is also a
purely psychological issue that some people
think it's a must to “install” something in some way before being able to use
it.

There are good reasons why the script that used to be shipped isn't shipped
anymore (for example: it would not work well with having several versions in
parallel).