On Sun, Jul 9, 2023 at 6:57 AM <msk...@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jul 2023, Knute Snortum wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure exactly how one would deal with this problem, other than
> with
> > tags.  Maybe \parenthesize could not produce MIDI output?  Or is there a
> way
>
> Is that a problem?  If these are two notes in different MIDI channels,
> then the MIDI output is just reflecting what you wrote - two notes played
> at once that happen to be the same pitch - and deleting one would be
> incorrect.  If the MIDI output is really just a single "louder" note (what
> does that mean - higher velocity?) then it implies some deliberate
> detection of this case within LilyPond, which might reasonably be
> adjustable.

In the MWE the instrument is a piano, so you wouldn't want the note to
sound louder than the surrounding notes, because the doubled note is played
by only one hand.  But I can see this might be a problem if the two staves
were for two voices.  Maybe you want it louder in that situation?  That's
why I suggested using \parenthesize to signal that the note should be
played once.

--
Knute Snortum