Dear Valentin and Jean,

Thank you for your help. I now understand what you meant (my brain is getting
there slowly) about the replicateDelims method 'taking a copy' of the existing
bracket stencil at the beginning of the line and translating it to the
restarted system; hence if the system is stopped at the beginning the line, it
cannot do this, there being nothing to copy!

So, using both the replicateDelims and inline methods that you proposed on SE
(https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/127631/how-can-i-insert-an-additional-systemstartbrace-into-a-pianostaff-in-lilypond),
 I have achieved almost all of what I had hoped for. Except ... with the inline
method there is a curious horizontal spacing issue where the restarted system
leaves an odd gap between it and the previous noteColumn, and more mysteriously
also affects the spacing for the noteColumn before that too. The following
illustrates this:

% --------------
\version "2.25.3"

\include "inline.ily"

beforeInline =  {
  \undo \omit Staff.TimeSignature
  \once\override Staff.Clef.full-size-change = ##t
  \once\override Staff.Clef.extra-offset = #'(0.75 . 0)
  \once \omit Staff.BarLine
  \undo \omit Staff.Clef
  \set Staff.forceClef = ##t
}

afterInline = {
  \set Staff.forceClef = ##t
  \once \omit Staff.BarLine
}

sopmusic = \relative c’ {
  \omit Staff.Clef
  \omit Staff.TimeSignature
  \stopStaff
  s1
  s2.*2
  \beforeInline
  \inline
  \afterInline
  \startStaff
  \time 4/4
  c4 c c c
  g'1
}

altomusic = \relative c’ {
  \omit Staff.Clef
  \omit Staff.TimeSignature
  \stopStaff
  s1
  s2.*2
  \beforeInline
  \inline
  \afterInline
  \startStaff
  \time 4/4
  g'4 g g g
  e1
}

organUp = \relative c’ {
  c8 e g c e, g c e
  \time 3/4
  g8 e c g e c
  e8 g c g e16 f g c
  \time 4/4
  e8 c g e c g' e d
  c1
}

organDown = \relative c
{
  \clef bass
  c8 e g c e, g c e
  \time 3/4
  g8 e c g e c
  e8 g c g e g
  \time 4/4
  e'8 c g e c g' e d
  c1
}

\score {

  <<
    \new Staff = "flute" \organUp
    \new ChoirStaff
    <<
      \new Staff = "soprano" \sopmusic
      \new Staff = "alto" \altomusic

    \new PianoStaff = "organ"
    <<
      \new Staff \organUp
      \new Staff \organDown

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      \consists #inline-staff-engraver

% ———————

Do you think it would be possible to close up the gaps here, or recommend a
work-around? I am very grateful for your help already and realise that my
use-case here is far outside what either of you had envisaged originally!

With many thanks,

Alex