Hello Carolyn,

I think what you are asking for is making it look something like this:

I made that using a graphics program, not lilypond.

While I get why you'd want it to look the same as similar places, I think that 1) this is harder to read, because it looks like the first crotchet is positioned where the second beat of the measure would be, and 2) the lilypond placement on the left of the dotted minim is the "right" or at least standard way of typesetting this type of collision.

Best wishes,
Jakob