msk...@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca writes:

> On Fri, 6 Oct 2023, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>
>> Thanks.  I think it's ghostscript – there are no pre-built packages
>> available either.  While LilyPond doesn't link to it in normal builds,
>> gs is needed for converting LilyPond's EPS output files to PDF.  In
>> other words, a MacPorts user still needs a compiler...
>
> If LilyPond doesn't link to gs but only execs it, then gs having an
> incompatible version of GPL from LilyPond's version should not render
> either binary undistributable, even together.  GNU's position seems to
> be that exec is a boundary across which it's not necessary for
> licenses to be compatible.

GNU has no position, the FSF has.  And it is sort of fuzzier: after all,
dynamic libraries are also some kind of boundary.  The principal
differentiation is whether that boundary is artificial and the separate
parts operate as a single unseparable unit.

Ghostscript works with PostScript as a generic interface, it has lots of
other uses, and LilyPond can work without using Ghostscript (it can
produce PostScript files instead).

I think that puts enough of a conceptual barrier between the two.  Using
the Ghostscript API would be different: I'd expect distributions to
avoid that without explicit non-trivial user action.

--
David Kastrup