1.      For the initiated this is a simple question but I have Been away
from Lilypond for some time. Now when I compile a simple piece of music the
control of note range seems to have disappeared. And I get increasing or
decreasing octaves - see example. Previously the program remembered where
the last note was and chose to keep within a range of 5 positions on the
stave - otherwise I had to specify going outwith this range using a comma or
' .  Can you explain?
2.      I cannot remember how to save my music in PDF format. Previously
saving the .ly file also saved a PDF copy.

All very elementary questions but I hope someone has time to answer.

P.S. On the plus side I am very happy to se that the export and import of
XML music files works much better now.

\version "2.24.1"

\include "../Includes/Polis_format_portrait.ily"

  \score {

    % Svenska Polisens Marscher: 1. Title
    \relative c'' {

    	    \key f \major \time 4/4
    	    \pointAndClickOn

       a4. ^- _\f  g8  d2 | % 2
       r8  a8 _.  g8 _- [  c16  a16 ] r16
          a16 [  g8 _. ]  d4 _- | % 3
       a4.  g8  d2 | % 4

    } %end relative

  } %end score

%{
convert-ly.py (GNU LilyPond) 2.24.1  convert-ly.py: Processing `'...
Applying conversion:     The document has not been changed.
%}