At 16:10 19/10/2023 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
... the results look awful:

Shouldn't both tuplet brackets span every notecolumn within the purview of the last note's duration?

For what it's worth (I know, I know!), Elaine Gould [Behind Bars, pp. 195/6] seems to distinguish between old and newer practice:

*Tuplets ending with the longest duration*

Traditionally, the bracket extends only as far as the last written duration. Thus a numeral centred in a bracket occurs before the central duration, making the rhythm unnecessarily difficult to read. It is now usual to extend the bracket to the position of the hypothetical final division of the tuplet, so that the numeral occurs at the rhythmic centre of the group. This makes complex rhythms quicker to read.

*Aligning brackets between parts*

When the final division of a tuplet is subdivided in some parts but not in others, the bracket ends need to extend only as far as the last duration in each group. This means that brackets may finish at different points. If preferred, all brackets may be extended to the position of the longest bracket. There is a visual logic to this, especially as uniform bracket length will allow the centred tuplet numerals to align vertically.

Her subsequent examples seem to follow her "now usual" and "if preferred" style that you espouse.

Brian Barker