Jeff Olson <jjoca...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/30/2023 11:27 AM, Michael Werner wrote:
>> This is based on
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.25/Documentation/notation/hiding-staves
>
> I'm not the OP but that is excellent documentation, save for one word:
>
>    "In the following example, staves devoted to wind instruments are
>    removed in the second system; however, the double bass is not,
>    because it is part of the larger group of *fretted* strings, which
>    is playing."
>
> That larger group in the example consists of Violin I, Violin II,
> Alto, Cello, Double bass.
>
> Nothing to fret about, unless you're in documentation, eh Harm?

I know Harm as a pretty good fretted string instrument player.  Probably
this should just be "strings" which it typically associated with the
kind of instruments listed there and has the advantage that you don't
get into trouble for a) pizzicato (which is weird for "bowed strings")
or b) viol (which is both bowed and fretted and may be used in a string
section for nostalgically informed practice).

--
David Kastrup