On Thu, 2023-12-07 at 02:43 +0000, Chris Korda wrote:
> Doesn’t LilyPond already contain python? There’s a python.exe in the
> bin folder, and it appears to run the python scripts that come with
> LilyPond, can I just use that to run ly2video? I’m guessing not
> because that would be too easy.

ly2video was super easy on linux and ideally would be just as easy to
use on windows.  And the easiest way is probably a self contained
python binary of ly2video.

I was able to package ly2video as an exe from linux using wine and
pyinstaller.  However when I tested it in wine, I ran into an issue:
external dependencies.

lilypond is required.  No problem, just download windows binaries and
modify the path so that lilypond works from anywhere.

ffmpeg is required.  No problem, just download windows binaries and
modify the path so that ffmpeg works from anywhere.

It was smooth sailing until timidity.  l2video uses timidity to process
the midi file into wav.  And that works fine on linux.  Odd because it
was originally developed for windows.

I can find timidity for windows, but it's not a nice installable
package complete with soudfonts.  And it's missing timidity.cfg which
is needed to find the soundfont files after they've been installed.  I
can find the soundfonts, but this seems completely awkward.

It's the same deal for fluidsynth which doesn't come with sound fonts.
 There is a Chocolatey package manager (?!) that has a fluidsynth
package, but I have no idea what that is or why anyone would use it.  I
looked into the package and all it does is download and install the
fluidsynth zip file that you can get off the github releases page.  It
does not contain soundfonts.

What's the windows way to convert midi to wav?

-Stef