On Sun, 2023-12-10 at 14:09 +1100, Laurie Savage wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was editing a lead sheet for my combo and it compiled fine. I
> closed Frescobaldi, accepted Fedora's nags to update and went to
> bed. I opened Frescobaldi this morning and get this error message
> on any file I try to compile.
>
> /usr/share/lilypond/2.25.4/ly/init.ly:64:2: error: Guile signaled an error
> for the expression beginning here
>
> #
>
>  (let ((book-handler (if (defined? 'default-toplevel-book-handler)
>
> Throw to key `ly-file-failed' with args `()'.
>
> I have the correct version of Lilypond set in my source files with
> convert-ly. Any file I try to compile worked fine before the system
> update. The system update was very comprehensive and I have no idea
> what might have broken. I tried a re-installation of Lily but that
> didn't work.
>
> Fedora 39, last updated 10/12/2023.

This is a known incompatibility with Ghostscript 10.02.1 that Fedora
updated to. Please file a bug with their LilyPond packaging to update
to a version with the fix. While you are at it, you might as well
remind them that odd numbers are "unstable" versions, and they should
consider only the even "stable" versions...

In the mean time, you can download the official binaries from
https://lilypond.org/download.html which come with their own version of
Ghostscript and do not have this problem.

Jonas