Hi John,

> But, ... I don't really see why it should.  There are many songs for which
> the vocal precedes the melody.

I don’t know of a single one. A rest is literally musical silence — how can it
have a “vocal” on it? Now, of course, you could have non-sung syllables… but
that is not equivalent to a REST.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong, though. Please feel free to upload a scan of a
score where a voice is instructed to sing on a rest.

> Perhaps there is some other way to accomplish this that I'm unaware of.  I'm
> pretty much a novice at writing.  However, I am transcribing a published
> score into LP as an exercise but also to do my own arrangement.
>
> Rests are valid musical expressions (AFAIK) so why shouldn't it be possible
> to attach a syllable to a rest?

Because a rest is silence — the absence of pitch.
There is sprechstimme, dialogue spoken over rests, front-phrasing of a melody,
and so forth… but you can’t sing “on” a rest.

Cheers,
Kieren.

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated
to read or respond to this email outside of your normal working hours.