On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 at 04:48, Ben Bradshaw <bleeding.fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I think I must not be understanding how the StaffGrouper works. I'm doing
a score with instrument and piano accompaniment, and have the piano music
in a PianoStaff. I'm trying to get more space between the solo staff and
the piano staff. This is what I tried...

> \layout{
> \context {
> \Score
> \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-staff-spacing.minimum-distance = #14
> \override StaffGrouper.staff-staff-spacing.minimum-distance = #6
> }
>
> But it seems the StaffGrouper spacing isn't applied, and what I get is
big space between all three lines. I thought that the StaffGrouper was
supposed to override settings in the VerticalAxisGroup, but maybe I have to
do it a different way? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

Well, apparently that's the case if you don't change the default values of
VerticalAxisGroup.staff-staff-spacing (maybe that's a bug).
In your case I would change the value of
VerticalAxisGroup.staff-staff-spacing for the staff above the PianoStaff.

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \with {
      \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-staff-spacing = #'((basic-distance
. 12)
        (minimum-distance . 11)
        (padding . 1))
    } { c'1 }