On 06.04.24 21:58, Carl Sorensen wrote:

On Sat, Apr 6, 2024 at 12:54 PM Fr. Samuel Springuel <rpspring...@gmail.com <mailto:rpspring...@gmail.com>> wrote:

I just discovered that in English, there’s a shorter way to name notes that would normally be specified with “-sharp” or “-flat”: “s”
 and “f”.  E.g. “f-sharp” can be written as “fs” and “b-flat” can be
 written as “bf”.

However, I noticed that this is not documented in the Music Glossary:
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/music-glossary/pitch-names

In principle this sounds like a good idea. There is, however, a similar scheme in place since 10 years or longer for certain notes in Turkish makam scales with its 1/9 intervals. I don't have time to do this now but if this idea shall be pursued further, any ambiguous overlap should be investigated and avoided (or is it avoided by using of the makam definitions file already? - gosh it's been quite some time that I've used lilypond).

Andreas