On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 2:26 PM Alejandro Castera <alexja...@yahoo.com.mx>
wrote:

> Good afternoon, community.
>
> I've been using Lilypond on Mac for a long time, but for a few years now
> they haven't released a new version to install in DMG format. There are
> some packages to install via "ports" (which I haven't understood what they
> are) and using MacPorts or Homebrew (which I haven't understood how to use
> either). All this through the Terminal command line, which I don't
> understand how to use. For this reason, I am still using LilyPond version
> 2.20 because it was the last one installable as DMG. Please, if someone can
> guide me to install the latest version of LilyPond 2.24.3 because I have
> tried several times in different ways and have not succeeded.
>
> Please, LilyPond developers, we need a DMG installer because not all of us
> Mac musicians know the Terminal command line.

Dear Alejandro,

 Due to Apple's policies on creating applications, there will not be any
more .DMG installs of LilyPond.

However, you can get LilyPond to work on your Mac without using the
Terminal.

You will want to download Frescobaldi, which is available as a DMG.
https://www.frescobaldi.org/download

And then you will install LilyPond as an executable file.  We currently
have x86 applications that can be run even on Apple Silicon Macs, but will
be a bit slower than the native M1 build:
https://lilypond.org/development.html

We also have an M1 build available:
https://cloud.hahnjo.de/s/x9D62eASSn6Ng7D

Once you have LilyPond installed, you will need to set the Lilypond
Preferences in Frescobaldi to point to your LilyPond executable.  Once you
have done that, you can use Frescobaldi to edit your lilypond files.  It's
so much better than the LilyPad editor that you will love it.

Detailed instructions for doing this are found in the Learning Manual:
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.25/Documentation/learning/graphical-setup-under-macos

You don't need to use the Terminal at all if you follow these instructions.

I hope this is helpful.

Carl Sorensen