Hello LilyPonders,

I'm a lyric poet writing songs about science.

"CO2" is three syllables and often works better than "carbon dioxide".

It's acceptable even if "2" doesn't appear as a subscript (one sees this usage
frequently), but subscript would be cool.

A superscript option would be cool too.

And example of "CO2" lyrics appears below.

As for LilyPond Notation Reference, I congratulate the person who chose the
following example text to demonstrate divisi lyrics on the "Techniques Specific
to Lyrics" page.

} \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" { They shall not o -- ver -- come } \new
Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" { We will _ }
On the one hand, I don't really expect a solution to my stated problem; on the
other hand, near the bottom of the page Techniques Specific to Lyrics, when I
encountered the example cited above, I reacted passionately to "They shall
not..." becoming "We will overcome" -- a definite sense of the Muse at work.
This definite sense was perhaps the intellectual thought that paralleled my
passion.

Well-chosen! and Thanks for the Inspiration!

David Olson

CO2 usage example
(tune : Ton-y-botel, trochaic)

stanzaTwo = \lyricmode {
\set stanza = "2."

End of Per -- mian Mass Ex -- tinc -- tion.
Great -- est dy -- ing Earth has known!
Lar -- gest ev -- er plume e -- rup -- tion
O'er a con -- ti -- nen -- tal zone.

Flood ba -- salt flows in Si -- ber -- ia
last -- ed o'er a mil -- lion years;
Filled the air with C O "2," a
Green house gas we al -- so fear.