Hi Kieren,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 3:12 PM Kieren MacMillan <
kie...@kierenmacmillan.info> wrote:

> 1. Any thoughts about what the optimal package is?

I use TexStudio for all my TeX work, and it's excellent. Here:
https://texstudio.sourceforge.net
(shoutout to extremely old-skool sourceforge hosting)

> 2. Is there any benefit/interest in trying to duplicate the most
> important/useful functionality of Frescobaldi (e.g. two-way point-and-click
> navigation) into a LaTeX-based IDE?

TexStudio let's you right-click the pdf output and select "go to source",
so presumably the functionality is there. The only issue is that the
lilypond code isn't interpreted by LaTeX directly, but called through
lyluatex.

I worked with Urs a few years back to produce an architecture for editing
multi-volume Lily file trees, with excellent output, all called through
LaTeX. I'm not sure if the project is still hosted anywhere (it was
residing on Urs' private github/gitlab server), but it worked well. I don't
use any tools in frescobaldi besides the point-and-click functionality that
wouldn't already be available in any modern TeX IDE.

But it seems my issues with frescobaldi are due to some problems with my
qtwebengine installation, so I might be able to get them resolved
relatively easily. Updating it to use PyQt6 would be an important long-term
sustainability goal, but at least it's not a complete blocker for me (for
now).

Cheers,