On Tue, 14 May 2024 at 15:43, Giles Boardman <giles.board...@hotmail.co.uk>
wrote:

> Thanks again Xavier. You are very patient - I have just sat down at my
up-to-date computer and the difference between the versions' functionality
is enormous. If I'd realised, I would have bitten the bullet and had fewer
questions and taken up less of everyone's time. My apologies. Out of
interest, is there somewhere that tells me the last version of Lilypond
that would run on Windows 8.1. Perhaps there is a sweet spot for me - my
layout requirements are largely satisfied by these very simple layouts.

Hello,

Well apparently Jean added the sentence "(Windows 7 and Windows 8 are not
supported)" for 2.24.0.
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commit/c9fa78c28d26661f1176bd8e1b13c574e71e9664

That being said, LilyPond >2.24 does not support Windows <8.1 mainly
because Microsoft itself has ended support for Windows 8.1.
Maybe LilyPond 2.24 or 2.25 still do run on Wondows 8.1. Have you tested?

Kind regards,
Xavier