Hello Eric,

here are a few more examples.
The first (headCircle) is the one I had given before. It just  calls
musicgryph inside a markup.
The second (headTriW) just draws a triangle. Notice how you can set the size
with the fontsize command.
The third (headXinD) combines (with the combine directive) a drawn circle
(draw-circle) with a mysicglyph.

Notice how "halign" and "lower" are used to move things around.

Hope these help,

Victor.

%%%%%%% START %%%%%%%%
\version "2.11.50"

headCircle = {\once \override NoteHead  #'stencil =
#ly:text-interface::print
              \once \override NoteHead #'text = #(markup #:musicglyph
"scripts.flageolet" ) }
headTriW = {\once \override NoteHead  #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
            \once \override NoteHead #'text = #(markup  #:lower .5
#:fontsize -3 #:triangle #t) }
headXinD = { \once \override NoteHead  #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
            \once \override NoteHead #'text = #(markup  #:combine #:halign
-0.7 #:draw-circle 0.85 0.2 #f #:musicglyph "noteheads.s2cross") }

\score{
   {
      \relative c'
      {\headCircle c4.  %%% just use musicglyph
      \headTriW d       %%% just draw
      \headXinD e       %%% combine drawing with musicglyph
      f                       %%% normal notehead