Message: 5
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 21:42:55 -0700
From: Carl Sorensen <c_soren...@byu.edu>
Subject: Re: Editing notes in a separate file
To: "michael_odonn...@acm.org" <michael_odonn...@acm.org>,
        lilypond-user   <lilypond-user@gnu.org>

On 3/2/10 21:42 Carl Sorensen <c_soren...@byu.edu> wrote:

On 1/2/10 10:06 AM, "Michael J. O'Donnell" <addr...@hidden> wrote:

In the hope that I had overlooked
something (I've read the whole notation manual, but there are clearly
things that haven't made it in yet---I've found some of them in the
*.scm and *.ly sources but there are bound to be others that I've
missed) I posted the query.

Please let us know the things you've found that haven't made it into the Notation Reference yet; the Notation Reference is intended to be exhaustive.

Thanks,

Carl

Where are the various error messages and warnings explicated? Here are two examples:

* programming error: Adding reverse rod
  continuing, cross fingers

* warning: cannot find property type-check for `no-spacing- rods' (backend-type?).
     perhaps a typing error?
  warning: doing assignment anyway

Ideally, I would like to produce LilyPond source that generates no warnings or errors when compiled.

How do I find out what those (and other) messages really mean? What's a reverse rod? Why would one be needed? What's a no-spacing- rod?

There doesn't seem to be any information in those two error messages that would allow me to find where in my source the problem is.

What is a "programming error"? A problem in my source code or a bug in LilyPond?

Thanks,
Pat