FWIW, Finale 2010 *does* support this if you put the notes in separate
layers (voices), add a courtesy accidental to the natural note, and fiddle
with the Accidental Mover and Note Position gui tools.  It doesn't do the
right thing by default, though. Image attached.

So if pride in LilyPond's capabilities is a motivator, this may help bump
the issue's priority :-)

Cheers,
Mike