Hi Carl,

I'm pretty sure he wants to use the *baseline* of the characters to align
> relative to the staff line.

Ah, OK.  Looking at the examples he's provided I see that that's exactly
what he wants.

> So you can't use tab-note-head::print, since
> it centers the *total extent* of the characters.
>
> You need to find the character lookup from tab-note-head::print, and use
> the character lookup to get the markup to be displayed, and offset that
> from the staff line.  You'll have to do all the calculations to get to the
> right string, I think.

I hadn't thought to look at the markup for the text.  Doing that I see that
it's a vertically centered column.  So using your tips, I get the following
which I think is a step in the right direction:

\new TabStaff
 \with
 {
   tablatureFormat = #fret-letter-tablature-format
   \override TabNoteHead #'whiteout = ##f
 }
 {
   \override TabNoteHead #'font-shape = #'italic
   \override TabNoteHead #'stencil = #(lambda (grob)
     (grob-interpret-markup grob (markup->string (ly:grob-property grob
'text))))
   e' f' fis' g' gis' a' ais' b' c'' cis'' d'' dis'' e'' f'' fis'' g'' gis''
 }

(@Choan: is this what you have in mind?)

-David