Apologies for the double-post.  I sent the second one about two hours after
the first, I think, not realizing the turnaround would be more like 24
hours for it to post.  Weird.

Anyway, I was able to puzzle this one out on my own; the .ly file I was
working with was generated by tuxguitar, and was for an old version of
lilypond.
I was apparently missing this line:

   \set TabStaff.tablatureFormat = #fret-number-tablature-format-banjo

I found a reference to it somewhere, crammed it in there, and, voila!  I am
sure I will annoy everyone with more stupid questions before too long.

Peace,
John