My approach to handling parts for hymn settings is to define the music for
the verses and chorus independently and then apply nested simultaneous and
sequential voices. So, for instance,

\score { <<
    \new Staff = "top" {
    << \new Voice = "sopRef" { \sopRefrainNotes } \new Voice = "altRef" {
\altRefrainNotes } >>
    << \new Voice = "sopVrs" { \sopVerseNotes } \new Voice = "altVrs" {
\altVerseNotes } >>
    }

    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "sopRef" { \refrainLyrics }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "sopVrs" { \verseLyrics }

    \new Staff = "bottom" {
    << \new Voice = "tenRef" { \tenRefrainNotes } \new Voice = "basRef" {
\basRefrainNotes } >>
    << \new Voice = "tenVrs" { \tenVerseNotes } \new Voice = "basVrs" {
\basVerseNotes } >>
    }
>> }

What this does is define the music in the score block according to the hymn
structure. This is a simplified version of the score block I actually use
for my hymn settings. I have an extra layer of complexity because I define
bars, breaks, rehearsal marks ("CHORUS," "D.C. al Fine," etc.) in a
separate voice and I use the part combiner functions with these individual
voices hidden so that I can still hook lyrics on them.

Cheers,
Carl