On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Phil Burfitt <phil.burf...@talktalk.net>wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <d...@gnu.org>
> Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 7:11 PM
>

>  Wouldn't it be far better after installing lilypond, to present the
>>> user with a cut down tutorial and usage instructions in a read-me
>>> file, and two desktop icons/shortcuts...one for this read-me file, and
>>> the other for invoking lilypond without arguments, which would then
>>> throw out a usage message?
>>>

> Given that the vast majority of computer users are on windows machines
> (for better or worse), I wonder just how many new users (and therefore
> potential contributers) confronted with this situation, have _not_ sought
> help, and have just given up.
>
> Phil.

The thing that has always confused me on LP is that when I install it on a
Mac, I get a LilyPond app with an icon that I can click on and open up a LP
editor with built-in compiler (at least, this is what the user
experiences). In Windows, I don't get the same thing.

I think the "Lilypond" vs. "Lilypad" is a user expectation issue. If, as a
Windows user, I install Lilypond, I want to open a program called
"Lilypond," and I want it to be called "Lilypond." Just like if I go to a
website, I'd like the base URL to remain whatever I typed in unless there's
a good reason for it.

Carl P.