Thanks to all for your responses to my enquiry about misaligned
dynamics.  Thanks especially to Hwaen Ch'uqi, who tried to answer my
question: unfortunately,
\override Dynamics.DynamicText.self-alignment-X = #-1
(modified for the different syntax in Lilypond 2.14.2) did not solve the
problem.  I think this is because -1 is the default value in any case.

You all suggested, as I was afraid you would, that instead of trying to
get 2.14.2 to do what I want, I should change to 2.18.0.  Considering
that http://www.lilypond.org/unix.html positively encourages us to use
the default version with distros such as Ubuntu (v2.14.2 in this case),
this is not what a new user might expect!

I did actually upgrade to 2.16.0 some weeks back, but I removed it and
reinstalled 2.14.2 via the Ubuntu package manager.  Until a few hours
ago, I couldn't remember why I reverted to 2.14.2, but I was sure I must
have had a good reason.

Anyway, I have now installed 2.18.0, and have now discovered again what
the problem with 2.16.0 was: Emacs can't find Lilypond mode any more.

I've just spent ages downloading the Lilypond source files, and trying
to understand what I am supposed to do with the files in
lilypond-2.18.0/elisp/

I have read
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/usage/text-editor-support
as well as the comments at the top of
lilypond-2.18.0/elisp/lilypond-init.el, but I'm still confused as to
what I need to do to get Emacs Lilypond mode working again.

Can someone help me sort this out, please, or will I have to go back to
using Lilypond 2.14.2 with no help other than the manuals?

David