Am 17.03.2014 00:28, schrieb Paul Morris:
David Stephen Grant wrote
Paul, this certainly cleans things up! Thank you.
A minor follow up question - in this code the cross notehead "dot" glyph
is
being printed and offset through markup - would it be possible to replace
the symbol directly (\once \override Dots #'stencil = #??????), ensuring
that the new glyph would be printed in the exact same position?
Hmm... you could draw the "x" stencil directly using Scheme, which would
give you some more control over its appearance (line thickness, size).  But
it looks like that in itself does not position it automatically where you
want it.

If you're running 2.19.2 you can use "make-path-stencil" to do this, as
shown below.  In 2.18 there are these two other options shown in these
snippets:
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=623
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=891

Below I've used ly:stencil-translate to move the "x" to the right manually
by 0.65  (If you change that to 0 you'll see where it's placed by default,
centered on the right edge of the notehead.)  Maybe there is a way to find
out exactly how far over LilyPond places dots relative to the notehead?  I'm
not sure how though...
Interesting question: the Internals Reference says the stencil for Dots is ly:dots::print. But where is this defined? Where can I look it up?

Good night,
Simon