You might check imslp.org, which often is a source for excellent engravings. I have no idea whether there is a scientifically approvable edition there. My thoughts referred in particular to the 19th century complete editions for example of Bach which combine unsurpassed typographical excellence and beauty with scholarly text. There are some who say that the NBA (New Bach Edition) does not give a significant advantage over that.

Best, Simon