Am 28.03.2014 18:04, schrieb Jordan B:
Hello - When writing multiple expressions, I find the rest collides with the stem of notes. Like so:

\version "2.14.2"

Please consider upgrading to the current stable version, 2.18.2. There are many and great improvements in there.

\relative c' {

\clef bass

%the quarter rest is bumping against the dotted half note

b1

<< fis2. { r4 <<d' fis>> <<d fis>>} >>

}

Is there a better way to write this so this does not happen?
The reason is that you have only one voice. If you read the logfile, you'll see it complains about rests and noteheads being on one stem, which is forbidden. In this case, you need something like

\relative c' {

\clef bass

b1

<<

{ r4 <d fis> q }

\\

{ fis,2. }

}

For more information, consult the learning manual and other introductory texts on lilypond.org, especially I'm hearing voices <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/i_0027m-hearing-voices>.
Thanks!

Jordan
Have fun with Lilypond!

Simon